Employee Self Service (ESS) is the process and associated technology which offers employees the opportunity to log on, view, print, and edit personal information. The goal of acquiring an ESS platform is to “push” to the employees the management of their personal information, thus relieving the HR and/or Payroll Department from handling paper and making updates. The employees became true “owners” of their data.
Big Fish offers Human Resource (HR) support through an award winning partner, HRAnswerLink, who specializes in HR issues and compliance.
The most significant feature of this support site is the Ask The Pro form which allows unlimited access to submit confidential questions to a national network of HR professionals and receive a response within 24 hours.
Questions such as, “Can you tell me if my vacation accrual plan is legal for California?” Or “I have an employee who wants to take time off to be with their newborn. I only have 13 employees. Do I have to let them take time off and do I have to pay them?” Or “What are my employer responsibilities if I hire an intern?”
Incorrect answers to these and countless other HR topics could place you and your company into a very difficult spot, including unhappy employees and potential litigation.
Another tool the HR Support center contains is a monthly Podcast covering trending HR topics. Check out the one for this month:
The HR Support site includes:
- Benefits – Quick guide for required, expanded, medical benefits… think ACA, COBRA, etc.
- Document Customization – Get aid creating a new document or upload an existing document to be made current reflecting appropriate HR laws and terminology.
- Employee Handbook Development – Download and customize an employee handbook in English or Spanish. Or schedule an appointment with an HR pro to develop a custom handbook.
- Employment Laws – State and Federal employment laws in easy-to-read terms. You can even sign-up to receive real-time eAlerts.
- HRCasts – Monthly Podcasts provide and in-depth look at important trending HR issues (see above).
- HR Concierge – aka Chat With Us, allows you to instantly chat online with an HR pro.
- HR Forms – Federal, State & business customizable forms to facilitate employee hiring, retention, management & termination.
- HRProMobile – A mobile app designed to help you navigate HR compliance and employee management issues at your fingertips — anytime, anywhere.
- Job Descriptions – Customizable templates available of universal positions.
- And much more – Health and Safety Training, HR Articles, Glossary of Terms, Q & A Database, Quick Guides, etc.
This support is offered on a monthly subscription basis and is available 24/7 for your unlimited use. The annual cost of the subscription is less than it would cost for just 1 hour of HR legal support or for an Employee Handbook design/review. Don’t enter or remain in the complicated HR world unprepared.
See what a few of our clients have to say about the service:
“Your HR Support is great. They are so responsive and are always interested in helping me find the right answers to my questions. I LOVE the new Chat feature.” – Christine, Meeting Planning Co.
“I don’t know what I would do without your HR Support site. They keep me from making mistakes that could result in possible lawsuits from unhappy employees. I don’t know why all your clients wouldn’t use it. Also, I needed help with a specific situation I was having with one of my employees and they directed me to a Discipline Form on the HR Support site so I could document the issue I was having, and how we were trying to correct the negative employee behavior. They were very helpful.” – Cindy, Restaurant
“We used your HR Support service to update our Employee Handbook. We hadn’t updated it in years, and they added many pages of laws that we needed to have (we are in Calif.). Best part is that it is included in my monthly fee.” – Richard, Manufacturing
Contact us to find out more.
We have developed with our HR Support affiliate a brief 10 Question HR Audit for your company. You should select the link below and answer the 10 questions. You will receive back via email an assessment of your answers to determine your level of compliance with current HR requirements.
A simple 10 question Audit can in no way give you all the answers, but it will give you a great high level view of some of your companies “weak spots”. You will be asked to provide contact information upon the completion of the audit so your results can be emailed to you. The answers you receive will guide you for what next steps you may want to consider.
Please select the following link to take the Big Fish Payroll HR Audit LGT
Background Check and Screening
Big Fish has partnered with National Crime Search (NCS) to offer you secure and affordable access to a web-based national criminal directory. This directory includes over 507 million criminal records covering all 50 states plus the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico.
NCS also allows Big Fish to offer a high quality, low cost, complete solution tailored to meet your criminal background search needs. The full service background solutions include:
- Instant National Criminal Searches
- Multi-State Sex & Violent Offenders Search
- County Criminal History
- Motor Vehicle Records
- Employment Credit Reports
- Social Security Verification & Address Tracker
- Healthcare Industry Search Services
- Tenant Screening
- Volunteer Screening
The NCS system is fast and easy to use allowing for immediate results, visit here for more.
Labor Law posters
State and Federal law requires employers to post labor law notices in the workplace. These mandatory postings include the OSHA Posting, Federal Minimum Wage, FMLA, USERRA and various state specific notices. Failure to post mandatory labor law notices can result in hefty fines and lawsuits. We have made these State and Federal notices available to you in an All-In-One State & Federal Labor Law Posters.
Labor Law Poster Update Service
Labor law postings can change at any time of the year, and it is the responsibility of the employer to stay up-to-date. CLICK HERE to review a list of State & Federal Labor Law Posting updates that have occurred since 2003. Let us take the worry and workout of keeping your business compliant! Our labor law poster update services automatically keep you up-to-date with notifications of changes to the labor law notices affecting you. When a change occurs, we will make sure that your posters remain compliant.
How does a Labor Law Poster Update Service work?
Our Worry-Free Poster Solutions offer two easy ways to stay up-to-date with changes in mandatory federal and state postings. Both update services are backed by a $25,000 We Pay The Fine Guarantee!
E-Update Service – $8.00/month
Upon activation receive an All-In-One State & Federal Labor Law Poster delivered to your location.
- When a change occurs, we place a call to your business to alert you that a posting has changed and we email the updated posting straight to your inbox as a downloadable PDF file.
- Print the updated posting on your printer.
- Display the updated posting alongside your current labor law poster.
- Receive an updated All-In-One State & Federal Labor Law Poster every year on the anniversary of your subscription. Shipping & handling included.
Poster Replacement Service – $10.00/month
Upon activation receive an All-In-One State & Federal Labor Law Poster delivered to your location.
- When a change occurs, we update our posters with the new mandatory posting.
- We mail you an updated All-In-One State & Federal Labor Law Poster. Shipping & handling included.
- Take down your current labor law poster and display the newly updated poster.
What Labor Law Posters are required for my business?
Both state and federal labor law posters are required for businesses. If a business has one or more employees, it is required by the law to post federal, state and OSHA mandatory posters. More specifically, the following six postings must appear in each workplace location: federal minimum wage, Employee Polygraph Protection, OSHA, FMLA, USERRA, and EEO.
Where should my business display these labor law posters?
Labor law posters should be displayed somewhere apparent to all employees on a daily basis, such as a break room or main lobby. If you have multiple locations, then each workplace should display its own posters.
Unemployment Claims Management
Big Fish has partnered with a leading specialized company to manage our clients unemployment claims activity. UC Advantage, Inc. is a local based company (Aliso Viejo, CA) that specializes in managing the highly complex task of unemployment claims management.
State Unemployment Insurance (SUI) is the only controllable tax an employer has. It is a tax driven by claims activity charged against an employer’s account. Simply, the more unemployment claims against a company, the higher the rate.
Do you, or anyone on your staff, have the capability or time to manage how much a claimant is allowed to receive each week? And for how long?
Do you, or anyone on your staff, have the capability or time to monitor if a claimant worked for a previous employer who may have to pay a portion of an unemployment claim?
Management of unemployment claims is imperative to not only help keep your SUI rate to a minimum, but to also ensure that there are no legal mistakes made under oath during the unemployment hearing process. One tiny facet of the intricacies of unemployment law is that testimony under oath in an unemployment hearing can be admissible in other types of litigation. UC Advantage ensures that testimony given at unemployment hearings is relevant only to the claimant’s separation, and that the opposing party is not allowed to search for additional information that can be used against an employer in other matters.
This strange nuance of unemployment law is just one reason why having a professional specialist manage your unemployment claims is a necessity.
Several highlighted features include:
- Claims Administration, including hearing representation
- A documented 92% win ratio of protest-able unemployment claims
- Complete representation at unemployment hearings
- Audits of any/all charges against your SUI account
- Protesting of invalid charges
- Protesting of incorrect rate assignments
- Management training
- Access to a specialist who can guide you in correct documentation and discipline before a claim is filed
- Detailed reporting to help identify trends and opportunities for improvement
Please feel free to call us with any questions you may have, or select the following link to go directly to the site: UC Advantage
Eliminate paperwork and redundancy from the employee onboarding process. Our onboarding streamlines the entire employee process using a simple online interface.
Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC)
Work Opportunity Tax Credits are awarded to companies who hire employees that meet certain criteria. This credit is taken by you on your corporate tax return at year end. You may receive these credits by hiring employees who meet any one or combination of 9 specific criteria, including :
- Qualified Veterans
- Qualified Ex-Felons
- Qualified Vocational Rehabilitation Referral
- Qualified Food Stamp (SNSAP) Recipients
The single most restrictive component of receiving this credit is that answers to determine eligibility must be collected on or the day before the applicant is offered employment, making this a perfect reason to deploy a paperless OnBoarding solution that also captures the answers to the qualification questions.
For a complete list of eligibility and WOTC pogrom details follow this link: http://www.edd.ca.gov/jobs_and_training/WOTC_Employer_Guide.htm – Target